Monday, January 17, 2011

Mum's Christmas Quilt

Some time ago I was going through things in my craft room and found a bunch of handkerchiefs that came from my Gramma's house. I decided they were too special and pretty to just leave laying in a drawer for the rest of my life. So, after some pondering, I decided to make my Mum a quilt out of them.


First I sewed them onto squares of white sheet material.



This is a close-up of the embroidered monogram of one of my Grampa's handkerchiefs.


As there were only 10 handkerchiefs and the quilt was going to have 12 squares, I had to figure out what to put in two more squares. My Gramma LOVED Lillies, so a Lily was a natural choice. First I drew a Lily on paper using this photo of one of my own Lillies to copy from.


I cut out the petals for patterns and then used them to applique orange material pieces onto my background material. Here is the pattern after I sewed the material onto the background.


Without the paper.

This is the finished Lily after I embroidered around each petal, made a stem, leaves, pistil and stamens.



This is what I wrote in the other square.


One of the handkerchiefs.



Finished quilt laying on our bed.




The finished quilt, hung in a doorway at Mum's for this photo.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

That is amazing! What a wonderful gift!

Jennie Frances said...

Thanks Pam. It truely is a wonderful gift with lots of love in it :)